Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Abbey Chapel

The interior of an Anglo Saxon abbey chapel in 801. It is constructed of wood and very dark.

A nunnery plays an important part in Courting Trouble. Buildings in early Anglo Saxon times were almost all made of wood, and windows were scarce. In this drawing from my sketchbook we see what the heroine sees as she waits for her friend in the chapel's dark interior.

Anticipation of the king’s visit and the activity it generated in Easton blocked out all other concerns for a while. . . . Then one night, too excited to sleep, the knowledge that the court was coming formed the backbone of a solution so simple that it seemed inevitable. I knew there were members of the old guard among the councilors and thanes, even during the current regime. I began to think, or rather, to be convinced, that if I could find a way to get into the palace I might, somehow, make a powerful friend or two who could help me hang on to my inheritance. There must be someone who remembered my mother. I would do this despite the current king, a despicable man if ever there was one.

These were my thoughts as I came to the Itchen road and turned off into the abbey. Within its gates, in contrast to my unsettled state, all was quiet. Figuring the sisters must be at Nones, I stabled my horse and went to the church, entering as inconspicuously as possible. I stood at the back of the tall timber building, dark as a tomb, my eye drawn to the distant altar candles sparkling on gold treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Enchanted Evening

In Courting Trouble a young warrior is eager to prove himself. He goes in search of conquest. Along the way, he is directed to an encha...