Saturday, December 8, 2018

The Other Stepsister, Hilda


The stepsister, ugly, poet, Hilda, character from the Novel Courting Trouble by Elaine Drew

In the novel Courting Trouble, the villagers are planning to trick the King by pretending they are poor. They are hoping he won't demand too much from them. Cynethrith has been asked by the villagers to try to get her stepmother go along with the ruse.
“Right.[says her stepmother] That Osbert is getting too big for his britches. I don’t know why he wants us to look like a bunch of paupers. That won’t do much for our social standing, now will it?”
“Well, no, Mother,” I agreed, “but you might be a little richer at the end of the day.”
“And if no one knows I’m rich how will it help me get husbands for my daughters?” I looked at Wulfwaru and Hilda. “I understand your concern, Mother,” I said.
“Thank you very much,” said Hilda, whose eyeballs and front teeth competed to see which could protrude more. Her chin had conceded defeat and was trying to leave the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Enchanted Evening

In Courting Trouble a young warrior is eager to prove himself. He goes in search of conquest. Along the way, he is directed to an encha...