Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Elfwinne, a Lady of the Court


Elfwine is a lady at King Beorhtric's court in the novel Courting Trouble. She is a friend of the queen, Odburh. In the following passage, the novel's heroine, Cynetrith, is introduced to Elfwinne, who entertains her friends with a riddle.
“This is my friend Elfwinne,” [Prince Athelstan] said.
“Nice to meet you,” I said, smiling warmly.
“You have the greatest smile,” said Athelstan. The young man accompanying Elfwinne grimaced.
“And this,” said Athelstan, indicating the youth, “is my best friend Yurmin.”
“Hello, Yurmin,” I said. He seemed to be far away.
“I just heard this one today,” said Elfwinne. “ ‘Outside I’m ornamented. Inside I’m dark. A lady takes care of me and, when her lord is feeling valiant, takes me to him. He upends me and puts a hairy thing in me. It’s a tight fit. Soon he’ll be thrusting. What am I?’”
We all looked at each other and giggled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Enchanted Evening

In Courting Trouble a young warrior is eager to prove himself. He goes in search of conquest. Along the way, he is directed to an encha...