Sunday, May 5, 2019

A Wessex Warrior

Sketchbook illustration of a warrior in the year 801 entering the town of Winchester, England. He carries a shield and wears a helmet. He looks fierce.

 Last week I posted an illustration of a group of warriors entering Winchester as part of the royal entourage depicted in Courting Trouble. This week's drawing from my sketchbook is up close and personal. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley.

The men carried broad round wooden shields with decorated iron bosses in the middle. I noticed one huge warrior whose front teeth were missing. His shield was covered with deerskin and had an iron bar across it. The dome of his boss came to a cruel looking point and had probably poked out more than one man’s eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Enchanted Evening

In Courting Trouble a young warrior is eager to prove himself. He goes in search of conquest. Along the way, he is directed to an encha...